[Kolab-devel] Other kolab scalability issues

Fabio Pietrosanti lists at infosecurity.ch
Tue Oct 23 15:06:18 CEST 2007

Alain Spineux wrote:
> First we need to know what we are speaking about !
>
> I tested kolab-2.2beta1.
>
> postfix support at least 100000 domains with the format
> extralargedomainXXXXX.loc.
> the main.cf was more than 5Mo large !
> imap failed at 68 domains, with line of about 4096 chars.

Please let me underline that in my kolab installation removing the
"loginrealm:" configuration parameter from imapd.conf all continued
working perfectly.

I am wondering, do we really require this configuration line? Why just
don't remove it away?

> Kolab components don't need to be fully dynamic (using lookup at every
> request), kolabd daemon is here to detect changes, and restart other
> daemons when needed.
>
> Postfix dont need any changes now and also support other solution,
> like table lookup, with table in flat file or compiled (berkley db
> style).

mmmm imho it should be dynamic, because that way the full design of the
system it's more simple.

Consider that postfix -> proxymap - (only 1 open connection to ldap)->
OpenLDAP (that have it's own cache)

With this approach the communication between postfix and openldap cache
in memory it's almost an IPC request over TCP because there's no
overhead in the authentication between postfix and OpenLDAP.

Still, if it's preferred to have the domains in a separate file (flat or
bdb) the result it's the same but there's one file more around the
system to be checked during troubleshooting .

Fabio