[Kolab-devel] share documents in IMAP-folders in a filesystem-like manner

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Apr 18 11:39:35 CEST 2007

Hi Ingo,

> We'd like to have a document and e-mail share, which would allow to
> access/save emails and documents (files like office-documents, pdf, CAD and
> so on) in one storage.
>
> The idea is to store thoese documents as mail-attachements in IMAP folders.
> This would allow an access whith all IMAP-clients and an integration in
> existing Kolab-servers.
>
> What would be needed further is a platform-independed filesystem-mapping which
> should allow to open or modify at least the attached file from Windows an
> Linux. Possible solutions would be to implement an mapping for example as
> samba-VFS-plugin or to provide some WebDAV-Compliant access to IMAP-folders.

There are certainly many solution possible here. My personal favourite
would be to add a kolab specific driver to Gollem (Horde web client
file manager) and to extend the Gollem API so that you can have
external access to the files. Since Horde comes with the necessary
libraries for WEBDAV access you could easily map your files onto a
WEBDAV system and at the same time manage them over the web frontend.

Both features, a Kolab driver for Gollem and the extensions of the
API, are just add ons and should be no major effort. Though this is
just a guess at the moment.

Cheers,

Gunnar