[Kolab-devel] share documents in IMAP-folders in a filesystem-like manner

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Wed Apr 18 12:53:15 CEST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 18. April 2007 11:39 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:
> Hi Ingo,
>
> > We'd like to have a document and e-mail share, which would allow to
> > access/save emails and documents (files like office-documents, pdf, CAD
> > and so on) in one storage.
> >
> > The idea is to store thoese documents as mail-attachements in IMAP
> > folders. This would allow an access whith all IMAP-clients and an
> > integration in existing Kolab-servers.
> >
> > What would be needed further is a platform-independed filesystem-mapping
> > which should allow to open or modify at least the attached file from
> > Windows an Linux. Possible solutions would be to implement an mapping for
> > example as samba-VFS-plugin or to provide some WebDAV-Compliant access to
> > IMAP-folders.
>
> There are certainly many solution possible here. My personal favourite
> would be to add a kolab specific driver to Gollem (Horde web client
> file manager) and to extend the Gollem API so that you can have
> external access to the files. Since Horde comes with the necessary
> libraries for WEBDAV access you could easily map your files onto a
> WEBDAV system and at the same time manage them over the web frontend.

But that means that other IMAP-Clients (Kontact, Outlook etc.) doesn't see
those files? A possible workflow should be:
1) receive a mail with an attached file
2) move it into an IMAP-Folder
3) access the attached file in a filesystem-like manner (i.e. kpdf -> file ->
open)

In this case Horde needs to be IMAP-client and WebDAV-server, but the later
isn't implemented yet, right?

Regards
Ingo

Ingo Steuwer           Projektmanagement        steuwer at univention.de
Univention GmbH        Linux for your Business  fon: +49 421 22 232-43
Mary-Somerville-Str.1  28359 Bremen             fax: +49 421 22 232-99
                       http://www.univention.de