[Kolab-devel] share documents in IMAP-folders in a filesystem-like manner

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Wed Apr 18 10:03:42 CEST 2007

Hello

I recently discussed this feature request with Bernhard Reiter who pointed me
to kolab-devel for more comments.

We'd like to have a document and e-mail share, which would allow to
access/save emails and documents (files like office-documents, pdf, CAD and
so on) in one storage.

The idea is to store thoese documents as mail-attachements in IMAP folders.
This would allow an access whith all IMAP-clients and an integration in
existing Kolab-servers.

What would be needed further is a platform-independed filesystem-mapping which
should allow to open or modify at least the attached file from Windows an
Linux. Possible solutions would be to implement an mapping for example as
samba-VFS-plugin or to provide some WebDAV-Compliant access to IMAP-folders.

As alternative it may be possible to implement the opposite, let cyrus offer
existing WebDAV-ressources as shared IMAP-folders (I don't know if there
exists something like a plugin-interface in cyrus?).

What are your opinios/ideas about this, do you know existing solutions (I
didn't found some so far), how do you think about the possible
implementations?

Regards
Ingo Steuwer

Ingo Steuwer           Projektmanagement        steuwer at univention.de
Univention GmbH        Linux for your Business  fon: +49 421 22 232-43
Mary-Somerville-Str.1  28359 Bremen             fax: +49 421 22 232-99
                       http://www.univention.de