Fwd: Re: [Kolab-devel] The kolab-resource-handlers module

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Thu Oct 20 12:16:30 CEST 2005

On Sunday 16 October 2005 22:34, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op zaterdag 15 oktober 2005 18:34, schreef Bernhard Reiter:
> > > IMHO this has to be fixed in order to enable us to move forward
> > > in the future.
> > >
> > > According to my experience such hacks as forking always lead to
> > > much trouble later.
> > >
> > > 95% of the current Horde code is both rotten or unused in Kolab.
>
> To understand what is provided by kolab and what is not I
> investigated the
> kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview
> directory.
>
> There are:
> - 3236! files
> - Of which 1404! files are cvs related (in a /CVS/ directory)
> - 1787! files with a timestamp of "11 Jun 2004" and not in a /CVS/
> directory
>
> Am I correct to state that only 45 files (3236 - 1404 - 1787) have
> been altered in this directory tree?  It seems to be right:

Thanks for your investigations. 45 edited files since the import would
be the correct statement. The initially imported code is what I got
from CodeFusion long ago. It was already edited compared to the Horde
mainline files. I have no idea how many files had been touched at that
time.

> > > I hope agree with me that we need to get rid of this problem.
> >
> > I do, as I agree to get rid about the other problems.
> > And this is not the biggest one we currently have.
> > So we just need to find the work (funding, volunteer or other)
> > to solve them.
>
> [wrote this as last part of the email: it seems I volunteered, to
> work on it a bit]:
>
> Listed below are the files that have altered.  First remark (RB =
> me): RB: the 45 files are reduced to 43 due to the .cvsignore
> files....
>
> config/.cvsignore
> config/conf.php
> config/hooks.php
> config/html.php
> config/mime_drivers.php
> config/nls.php
> config/prefs.php
> config/registry.php
>
> RB: are the files mentioned above kolab specific?  If you look up the
> directory, you'll discover that most of the files are there with an
> .dist extension as well and they are dated 11 Jun 2004 (initial check
> in day). The ones that have been really altered are:
> conf.php, prefs.php and registry.php.  The others are exactly the
> same as the ones with the .dist extension.   I don't know what horde
> project provides these files.

Again, I don't have much idea how this works, but I would imagine that
the files were created from the .dist files by some Horde setup tool
and then tailored to Kolab. I might be completely wrong of course.

> framework/Image/package.xml
> framework/Kolab/Kolab.php
> framework/Net_IMAP/IMAP.php
> framework/Net_IMAP/IMAPProtocol.php
> framework/Net_IMAP/docs/test_IMAP.php
> framework/Net_IMAP/docs/test_IMAPProtocol.php
> framework/Net_IMAP/package.xml
> framework/Net_LMTP/LMTP.php
> framework/Net_LMTP/package.xml
> framework/Net_LMTP/test_lmtp.php
> framework/VC/package.xml
> framework/iCalendar/iCalendar.php
> framework/install-packages.php
>
> RB: the files above are part of the new kolab-horde-framework.  Does
> this make it possible to remove the
> kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview/framewo
>rk directory?

Yes! The framework dir should be gone from CVS since some days.

> kronolith/attendeescommon.php
> kronolith/attendeeshandler.php
> kronolith/config/.cvsignore
> kronolith/config/conf.php
> kronolith/config/html.php
> kronolith/config/prefs.php
> kronolith/lib/FBView/day.php
> kronolith/lib/FBView/month.php
> kronolith/lib/FBView/week.php
> kronolith/lib/FBView/workweek.php
> kronolith/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/kronolith.mo
> kronolith/po/de_DE.po
> kronolith/po/kronolith.pot
> kronolith/savedattlist.php
> kronolith/templates/attendees/attendees.inc
> kronolith/templates/fbview/busyblock.tpl
> kronolith/templates/weekView/linesblock.tpl
>
> RB: all the 16 files above look kolab specific.  The kronolit
> directory holds 192 files.  My idea at the moment is to move all the
> files in the kronolith directory, but the 16 mentioned above away to
> their own location (in kolab-horde-framework maybe?).  [Looked
> again]: perhaps the po/de_DE.po, po/kronolith.pot and
> locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/kronolith.mo are common with the kronolith
> project it self.
>
> locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/horde.mo
> po/horde.pot
> RB: files above leave untouched :)
>
> login.php
> po/de_DE.po
> po/translation.php
> turba/po/de_DE.po
> turba/po/turba.pot
> RB: not kolab related, move to their own directory in
> kolab-horde-framework?
>
> Is it with this information possible to remove the directory:
> kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview, but
> the kolab related files mentioned above?
>
> Wow, that would be spectular the kolab-resource-handler module would
> be deminished from over 3300 files to 50, 60 files (this is just a
> gues).

Yes that would indeed be nice. Can you try to see what happens if you
remove those files?

> One remark: at this moment there are I think 2 horde related top
> directories (modules) in cvs, being horde and kolab-horde-framework.
> With my proposal(s) above their would be even more (kronolith, turba,
> etc).  Would it be possible to clean up the horde directory (which is
> not used I assume (at least it has not been altered in the last 2
> years)).  Move the kolab-horde-framework and the
> kolab-resource-handlers/kolab-resource-handlers/fbview/fbview into
> it? When that would be done, kolab can provide a horde rpm.  The
> kolab-resource-handlers rpm will depend on the horde rpm, but that's
> fine.  I think that this seperation will lead to a much better
> understanding in what is provided by kolab and what is delivered by a
> the 3rd project horde.  And this move would make it possible to
> really finish the autoconfiscation of kolab in the right way.

So you think we should aim for 2 or 3 packages?

kolab-horde-framework: Horde "library classes"
kolab-fbview-whatever: FBView and possibly other Horde apps
kolab-resource-handlers: Mail filter scripts and freebusy scripts

or are you thinking about putting the horde frameswork and fbview into
the same pacakge?

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se