AW: AW: [Kolab-devel] Re: kolab_bootstrap -b fails on Solaris 8 Sparc

ComCept Net GmbH Soliva soliva at comcept.ch
Wed Oct 5 18:30:54 CEST 2005

Hi

The issue about ps aux (-elf) is done it means this is not anymore a problem
also because I saw that in the next release the command will be posix like!

The case with cp -pRP seems to me not really posix like it means I do not
know where it can be loked at it but what I can say is that on Solaris a cp
-pRP does not exist it means:

User Commands                                               cp(1)

NAME
     cp - copy files

SYNOPSIS
     /usr/bin/cp [-fip@] source_file target_file

     /usr/bin/cp [-fip@] source_file... target

     /usr/bin/cp  -r | -R [-fip@] source_dir... target

     /usr/xpg4/bin/cp [-fip@] source_file target_file

     /usr/xpg4/bin/cp [-fip@] source_file... target

     /usr/xpg4/bin/cp  -r | -R [-fip@] source_dir... Target

     -R    Same as -r, except  pipes  are  replicated,  not  read
           from.

     -p    Preserve. cp  duplicates  not  only  the  contents  of
           source_file,  but  also  preserves the owner and group
           id, permission modes, modification  and  access  time,
           ACLs,  and  extended attributes, if applicable. Notice
           that the command may fail if ACLs are copied to a file
           system  without  appropriate support. The command will
           not fail if unable to  preserve  extended  attributes,
           modification  and access time, or permission modes. If
           unable to preserve owner and group  id,  cp  will  not
           fail,  and  it  will clear S_ISUID and S_ISGID bits in
           the target. cp will  print  a  diagnostic  message  to
           stderr  and return a non-zero exit status if unable to
           clear these bits.

           In order to preserve the owner and group  id,  permis-
           sion  modes,  and modification and access times, users
           must have the  appropriate  file  access  permissions.
           This  includes being superuser or the same owner id as
           the destination file.

The option -P does not exists on Solaris 8 see also
http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi (enter under "Set comamnd name" the
required command and on the fly you will see the man pages).

I would not say that Solaris is overall posix but this command cp is under
normal circumstances and under Solaris posix like?

The other stuff I would test in the next days...coming back with the
results!

Andrea