setup-kolab gives misleading message (on Debian 8 Winterfell packages)

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Mon May 23 07:41:13 CEST 2016

Hello Alf,

> It seems 389 Directory Server has an existing instance configured. This
> setup
> script does not intend to destroy or overwrite your data. Please make sure
> /etc/dirsrv/ and /var/lib/dirsrv/ are clean so that this setup does not have
> worry.
>
> Following the advice, I removed the content of those two folders to be able
> to run the setup-kolab script again, but then I got this error message:
>
> Could not copy file '/etc/dirsrv/config/certmap.conf' to
> '/etc/dirsrv/slapd-cloud/certmap.conf'. Error: No such file or directory
>
>  so it seems the first message is misleading, encouraging users to remove a
> file that is a needed part of the 389-ds-base installation. I suggest
> rephrasing the message, even a very generic message is better, e.g.,

Clean probably does not mean "deleted", but in the state how it was
before you configured the Kolab instance for the directory server.

This error message comes from the 389 Directory Server, as far as I can see.
I cannot find the error message in
https://git.kolab.org/diffusion/P/browse/master/pykolab/setup/setup_ldap.py

I think I remember I was told that you cannot re-run setup-kolab for
the directory server.
I usually do a full reinstall with this script:
https://github.com/TBits/KolabScripts/blob/master/kolab/reinstallCentOS.sh

> Even better would be to include an option to clear the directory server when
> running setup-kolab.
Please file a feature request at
https://git.kolab.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/12/

> Almost forgot, thanks for an awesome software suite!
I am glad you are enjoying Kolab and you are experimenting with Winterfell!

Please note that Winterfell is the latest but not the greatest :) It
exists for testing purposes and development purposes, and is usually
not used in production.
But it is good that many in the community will try to break it because
the stable versions are derived from it!

All the best,
  Timotheus