setup-kolab gives misleading message (on Debian 8 Winterfell packages)

Alf B. Rustad alf at mykolab.com
Sun May 22 20:50:22 CEST 2016

I set out to try the latest and greatest Kolab packages this week-end.
The install is done on a 64-bit Debian 8 using the Winterfell packages.
I had to rerun the setup-kolab script after I entered something wrong
the first time, and got this message:

It seems 389 Directory Server has an existing instance configured. This
setup
script does not intend to destroy or overwrite your data. Please make
sure
/etc/dirsrv/ and /var/lib/dirsrv/ are clean so that this setup does not
have to
worry.

Following the advice, I removed the content of those two folders to be
able to run the setup-kolab script again, but then I got this error
message:

Could not copy file '/etc/dirsrv/config/certmap.conf' to
'/etc/dirsrv/slapd-cloud/certmap.conf'. Error: No such file or directory

 so it seems the first message is misleading, encouraging users to
remove a file that is a needed part of the 389-ds-base installation. I
suggest rephrasing the message, even a very generic message is better,
e.g.,

It seems 389 Directory Server has an existing instance configured. This
setup
script does not intend to destroy or overwrite your data. Please make
sure
/etc/dirsrv/ and /var/lib/dirsrv/ are in the same state as when the
direcotry server was installed so that this setup does not have to
worry.

Even better would be to include an option to clear the directory server
when running setup-kolab.

Almost forgot, thanks for an awesome software suite!