Fwd: kolab authentication

Jan Kowalsky jankow at datenkollektiv.net
Fri Jan 9 22:12:51 CET 2015

Hi Mohammed,

Am 09.01.2015 um 20:02 schrieb Nathanael D. Noblet:
> On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 11:38 +0200, Mohamed Aly wrote:
>> Hello
>>

>> Iam new to kolab system i could install and finish the setup
>> successfully but iam already running a mail system and authenticate
>> users from local pam , so i need to migrate to kolab but i want to
>> keep authentication as it is from local pam . is it possible? and how?

as far as I understand you speak about your email-users. You have a
mail-system where all users are local unix-users and you want to migrate
them to kolab?

>   I doubt you can use local users. Kolab is designed to use an LDAP
> backend for authentication. If you mean you want to have a local
> shell/homedir for ssh login to the system by using a pam configuration

as Nathanael pointed out the ldap-server is mandatory for kolab. You
have to migrate your pam users to ldap.

> that speaks to LDAP that's another story and I would expect it is doable
> but I'm not experienced enough to tell you how.

Of course you can use local users for administrating your system. If
there should only be some administrative accounts I would suggest to do
it with normal /etc/passwd.

And of course you could authenticate them against ldap  - but this makes
only sense, if you use the server for other services, where users have
to have access to. I wouldn't recommend this.

Regards
Jan