Fwd: kolab authentication

Mohamed Aly Mohamed mohamed.aly at cultnat.org
Sun Jan 11 18:24:43 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Jan Kowalsky <jankow at datenkollektiv.net>
wrote:

> Hi Mohammed,
>
> Am 09.01.2015 um 20:02 schrieb Nathanael D. Noblet:
> > On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 11:38 +0200, Mohamed Aly wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>

> >> Iam new to kolab system i could install and finish the setup
> >> successfully but iam already running a mail system and authenticate
> >> users from local pam , so i need to migrate to kolab but i want to
> >> keep authentication as it is from local pam . is it possible? and how?
> >>

> >>as far as I understand you speak about your email-users. You have a
> >>mail-system where all users are local unix-users and you want to migrate
> >>them to kolab?

yes this is what i want but i want to to that without any users interaction
no password change etc...

> >   I doubt you can use local users. Kolab is designed to use an LDAP
> > backend for authentication. If you mean you want to have a local
> > shell/homedir for ssh login to the system by using a pam configuration
>
> >>as Nathanael pointed out the ldap-server is mandatory for kolab. You
> >>have to migrate your pam users to ldap.
>
> so how can i migrate pam to ldap ? its ok for me to create users manually
on ldap but how can i migrate passwords?
and what about active directory ? is there any clear way to authenticate
from?

> > that speaks to LDAP that's another story and I would expect it is doable
> > but I'm not experienced enough to tell you how.
> >

> Of course you can use local users for administrating your system. If
> there should only be some administrative accounts I would suggest to do
> it with normal /etc/passwd.
>
> And of course you could authenticate them against ldap  - but this makes
> only sense, if you use the server for other services, where users have
> to have access to. I wouldn't recommend this.
>
> Regards
> Jan

Mohamed Aly Mohamed
Head Of Technical Support section
Center for Documentation
of Cultural and Natural Heritage
(CULTNAT)
Smart Village
Cairo-Alexandria Road, Km 28 Giza, Egypt
www.cultnat.org www.eternalegypt.org