kolab 2.3.4 openpkg - amavisd not functioning

Paul Klos kolab at klos2day.nl
Fri May 25 17:45:16 CEST 2012

Hi Dirk,

I understood your German message just fine, but usually the language here is
English, so that's what I replied in.

>From the logging you posted I'd say that amavisd isn't running, that's why ps
shows nothing and 10024 doesn't show in netstat.

It does seem however, from the amavisd.log you posted, that it does start,
because you do get this Perl version message

Perl version               5.010000

So it seems for some reason amavisd doesn't stay running. If that's true,
there can be any number of reasons, such as some issue in the config file, or
certain file privileges, a port conflict, etc.

If you start kolab, amavisd will start as a deamon and run in the background.
Your only information will come from the log file, which doesn't tell us a lot.

That's where my question came from. So, you might try these steps:

# Stop the daemon
/kolab/bin/openpkg rc amavisd stop
# then run amavisd 'by hand'
/kolab/sbin/amavisd -u kolab-r -c /kolab/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf debug

Not 100% sure about the command, I've never tried this. I got the options from
running /kolab/sbin/amavisd -h.

A quick internet search also gave me this:
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-trouble

So there's more info out there about how to do this.

Anyway, once you get amavisd running in your console window in debug mode,
hopefully you'll get some more info that will helpl you solve this.

Please post any strange stuff you might find that you have no explanation for.

Cheers,

Paul

Op vrijdag 25 mei 2012 16:17:35 schreef Dirk Werner:

Hi Paul,
thanks for your reply and please apologize my most likely not proper
formatting here in this list. I'm still a bit confused about how to reply
since I don't received a mail from the kolab users list, don't know why. I
found your answer on the web page though. I have also send the issue in
english since I was not sure if the list prefers a specific language. Your
german seems to be pretty good, anyway, I'll post in english from now on.

I have set the log_level of amavisd to 5 in the file
/kolab/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf. I'm unsure about what you mean with
foreground - is there another place, I can set amavisd logging and debug
options?

Cheers,
Dirk

On 05/25/2012 03:53 PM, kolab-users-request at kolab.org wrote:

Hi Dirk,

Have you tried starting amavisd in the foreground,
with a higher debug level?

Cheers,

Paul