kolab 2.3.4 openpkg - amavisd not functioning

Dirk Werner dwerner at curiousbits.de
Fri May 25 18:13:26 CEST 2012

Hi Paul,
many thanks for you attention! Meanwhile, I had contact to Jeroen van
Meeuwen and he has changed the email notification settings for me. From
now on there is hope that I'm not gonna bother the mailing list anymore
with stupidly formatted or placed entries and replies ...
I'll try what you suggested - to run amavisd in a debug environment later.

Have a nice whitsun weekend, I remember it's Pinksteren in dutch :-)
I appreciate your work, thanks for that!
Cheers
Dirk

On 05/25/2012 05:45 PM, Paul Klos wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>

> I understood your German message just fine, but usually the language
> here is English, so that's what I replied in.
>

> From the logging you posted I'd say that amavisd isn't running, that's
> why ps shows nothing and 10024 doesn't show in netstat.
>

> It does seem however, from the amavisd.log you posted, that it does
> start, because you do get this Perl version message
>

> Perl version 5.010000
>

> So it seems for some reason amavisd doesn't stay running. If that's
> true, there can be any number of reasons, such as some issue in the
> config file, or certain file privileges, a port conflict, etc.
>

> If you start kolab, amavisd will start as a deamon and run in the
> background. Your only information will come from the log file, which
> doesn't tell us a lot.
>

> That's where my question came from. So, you might try these steps:
>

> # Stop the daemon
>
> /kolab/bin/openpkg rc amavisd stop
>
> # then run amavisd 'by hand'
>
> /kolab/sbin/amavisd -u kolab-r -c /kolab/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf debug
>

> Not 100% sure about the command, I've never tried this. I got the
> options from running /kolab/sbin/amavisd -h.
>

> A quick internet search also gave me this:
>
> http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-trouble
>

> So there's more info out there about how to do this.
>

> Anyway, once you get amavisd running in your console window in debug
> mode, hopefully you'll get some more info that will helpl you solve this.
>

> Please post any strange stuff you might find that you have no
> explanation for.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Paul

Dipl.-Ing. Dirk Werner
Linux System Administrator / C and Senior Java Developer
Helenenwallstr. 16
50679 Köln
Fon 0221-8230142
mailto:dwerner at curiousbits.de