Restore folder from backup (kolab 2.04)

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Wed Mar 4 13:26:29 CET 2009

On Wednesday 4 March 2009 12:46:07 Jacques Hylkema wrote:
> ITSEF Admin schreef:
[...]
> > Have you tried reconstructing the top level folder? I.e.:
> >
> > /kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/Leveranciers at intronics.nl
>
> This gives the following result:
> user/j.m.dekker/Leveranciers at intronics.nl

i.e. it did some work on the folder (otherwise cyrreconstruct does not return
anything).

[...]
> However, still no sign of the R--S folder...

Ok, in that case I would try a complete reconstruct of the user's mailbox:

su - kolab-r -c "cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/*@intronics.nl"

followed by

su - kolab-r -c "cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker at intronics.nl"

We have had problems with this in the past, but at least under 2.1.0, most of
these reconstructions were successful.

BTW: Maybe this is a stupid question, but: You *DID* check that the folder in
question has not become unsubscribed in the mail client and is therefore not
visible?

[...]
> I think I have to follow another procedure:
>
> Create a (temporary) kolab mailserver with the latest version of kolab.
> Create the user in kolab, and restore the folder to that mailserver.
> reconstruct the folder on that mailserver.
> Add a new account to Thunderbird for the temporary mailserver
> Drag and drop the folder from the new temporary account to the original
> account
>
> Does this seem to be a good workaround to you?

Far too much work. Our standard procedure in case the straightforward
reconstruction of a previously existing folder does not work is this:

- Create a NEW folder in /kolab/var/imapd/spool/...../USER (i.e. in the top
level
- Copy all of the mails you want to restore into that folder
- chown -R kolab-r.kolab-r FOLDER (i.e. make certain FOLDER and all contents
belong to kolab-r)
- Restore that new folder:
su - kolab-r -c "cyrreconstruct -r -f user/USER/FOLDER at intronics.nl"
- Ask the user to subscribe to this folder, then fetch mail and transfer the
mails to wherever (s)he wants to have them.

This has always worked for us.

Regards,

Thomas