Restore folder from backup (kolab 2.04)

Jacques Hylkema j.hylkema at intronics.nl
Wed Mar 4 15:58:15 CET 2009

ITSEF Admin schreef:
> On Wednesday 4 March 2009 12:46:07 Jacques Hylkema wrote:
>
>> ITSEF Admin schreef:
>>
> [...]
>
>>> Have you tried reconstructing the top level folder? I.e.:
>>>
>>> /kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/Leveranciers at intronics.nl
>>>
>> This gives the following result:
>> user/j.m.dekker/Leveranciers at intronics.nl
>>

> i.e. it did some work on the folder (otherwise cyrreconstruct does not return
> anything).
>

> [...]
>
>> However, still no sign of the R--S folder...
>>

> Ok, in that case I would try a complete reconstruct of the user's mailbox:
>
> su - kolab-r -c "cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/*@intronics.nl"
>
> followed by
>
> su - kolab-r -c "cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker at intronics.nl"

Done that. Did not work.

For some debugging, I tried the following:
su - kolab-r
in the mailbox, I created an empty folder backup:
mkdir backup
chmod -R 700 backup
ls -l
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 2009-03-04 15:31 backup
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r    4 2009-03-04 15:32 cyrus.cache
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r  173 2009-03-04 15:32 cyrus.header
-rw------- 1 kolab-r kolab-r   96 2009-03-04 15:32 cyrus.index
drwx------ 2 kolab-r kolab-r 4096 2009-03-04 15:32 Trash

bash-3.2$ /kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker/*@intronics.nl
user/j.m.dekker/Trash at intronics.nl

bash-3.2$ /kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker at intronics.nl
user/j.m.dekker at intronics.nl

bash-3.2$ /kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -r -f user/j^m^dekker*@intronics.nl
user/j.m.dekker at intronics.nl
user/j.m.dekker/Trash at intronics.nl

As you can see, the backupfolder never appears.

> We have had problems with this in the past, but at least under 2.1.0, most of
> these reconstructions were successful.
>
> BTW: Maybe this is a stupid question, but: You *DID* check that the folder in
> question has not become unsubscribed in the mail client and is therefore not
> visible?

Yes, I did.
> [...]
>
>> I think I have to follow another procedure:
>>
>> Create a (temporary) kolab mailserver with the latest version of kolab.
>> Create the user in kolab, and restore the folder to that mailserver.
>> reconstruct the folder on that mailserver.
>> Add a new account to Thunderbird for the temporary mailserver
>> Drag and drop the folder from the new temporary account to the original
>> account
>>
>> Does this seem to be a good workaround to you?
>>

> Far too much work. Our standard procedure in case the straightforward
> reconstruction of a previously existing folder does not work is this:
>
> - Create a NEW folder in /kolab/var/imapd/spool/...../USER (i.e. in the top
> level
> - Copy all of the mails you want to restore into that folder
> - chown -R kolab-r.kolab-r FOLDER (i.e. make certain FOLDER and all contents
> belong to kolab-r)
> - Restore that new folder:
> su - kolab-r -c "cyrreconstruct -r -f user/USER/FOLDER at intronics.nl"
> - Ask the user to subscribe to this folder, then fetch mail and transfer the
> mails to wherever (s)he wants to have them.
>
> This has always worked for us.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas

Thanks for your time,

Jacques

This outbound message from Intronics B.V. has been checked for all known
viruses by KPN MailScan (IV-Scan), powered by MessageLabs.