OpenLDAP and libnss conflict

Neil Joseph Schelly neil.schelly at oasis-open.org
Wed May 21 16:01:14 CEST 2008

I'm working on an installation of Kolab on Debian Etch (Stable).  I'm using
the OpenPKG method for installation to install the latest version of things
under /kolab.

The installation works fine so long as I don't enable LDAP system logins.  I
use LDAP for system logins by way of PAM and NSS ldap modules.  The slapd
process segfaults as soon as the first ldap function is called.  I suspect
this is because the process has already loaded the system libldap_r symbols
to begin the process, creating a confusion of symbols between the system
libldap_r and the /kolab version of libldap_r.

Everything works fine when I disable LDAP in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Has anyone else accomplished using the OpenPKG installation method with
NSS/LDAP?  Has anyone tried using external libraries for the OpenLDAP part of
things, or even better, having the OpenPKG installation just use an external
LDAP server?

Neil Schelly
Senior Systems Administrator

W: 978-667-5115 x213
M: 508-410-4776

OASIS http://www.oasis-open.org
"Advancing open standards for the information society"