Kolab hung on installation. Kontact will not start

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:15:18 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Duffields <dhltd at telus.net> wrote:
> Decided to try installing Kolab and thought that using Ubuntu's Synaptic
> Package Manager would likely be the safest way to start.

The openpkg distribution is a better choice.
It require a little more time investment, but you will have
less problem at install time and later.
Also you will have a better support from this list.

> When I searched for Kolab it displayed quite a few packages and since I did
> not know which I needed, I selected all of them.  Everything seemed fine
> until near the very end when I got an error message that one of them, the
> ldap account manager, would not install.
>
> I thought I would un-iinstall all the Kolab packages.   The packages
> un-installed with the exception of the one that would not install.
>
> Apparently it is partially installed and cannot now be uninstalled.  The end
> result is that Kontact no longer starts.   I tried re-installing Kontact but
> it still will not start.

Kontact is not part of the kolab server distribution.
You have to install it by yourself !
Start it from a terminal console, and loot at the error messages

> In case it helps, I have attached an image file that shows what packages I
> installed. The red highlighted package package is the one that would not
> fully install and then would not un-install.
>
> Here is the content of Synaptic's error log when I tried to un-install the
> packages:
> (Reading database ... 167704 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing ldap-account-manager ...
>  * Restarting web server apache2
> grep: /etc/apache2/conf.d/backuppc: No such file or directory
> apache2: Syntax error on line 292 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Could not open
> configuration file /etc/apache2/conf.d/backuppc: No such file or directory
>    ...fail!

backuppc is a component not related to kolab, this is what the openpkg
distribution
try to avoid with a separate and autonomous packaging system.

trys this command :

# touch /etc/apache2/conf.d/backuppc

and then try again

regards

> invoke-rc.d: initscript apache2, action "restart" failed.
> dpkg: error processing ldap-account-manager (--remove):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  ldap-account-manager
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
> Anyone have any suggestions to fix this or at least how to get Kontact running
> again?
> Which packages I should be tring to install?
>
> Much obliged
>
> Mac

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com