Distribution List Slows server problem...

Kevin Baker kevbaker at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 05:05:56 CET 2006

--- Bernhard Reiter <bernhard.reiter at intevation.de> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2005 18:35 schrieb Kevin Baker:
> > So what are the main functions of the
> "kolabmailboxfilter"
> > filter?
>
> It adds X-Kolab-Scheduling-Message: headers
> and will to automatic invitation handling.
>
> > I am only using Kolab for email.
> >
> > If I changed the
> >
> >   - "mailbox_transport = kolabmailboxfilter"
> >
> >   line to
> >
> >   + "mailbox_transport =
> lmtp:unix:/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp"
> >
> >   would Kolab email still work normally?
>
> Basically yes, so you can try.
So we tested this. It worked great! We didn't get all
the performance increases we wanted, but it was def much
much faster.

> > The reason I ask is that I am looking to setup an
> "alias"
> > that send messages to all the users on the system. When
> > test this in Kolab it freezes up the machine for about
> 5
> > minuntes.
>
> Obvisously this depends on your machine,
> but it should not freeze the machine for 5 minutes
> as only one email needs to be marked.
> Technically it might be transfered in chunks,
> but it should not process them all at once.
> Also kolabmailboxfilter pretty early sees if
> the email contants text/calendar and will let it through
> without much processing.
Agreed, it seem strange that it slows it down so much, but
it does.
We are running AMD Athlon 2600, 1GB Ram servers... not a
screaming
machine but def not slow. The reason I am pointing out the
PHP script
is that, we were running a slower machine before with no
issues.

The issue to me is less how optimized the php script is,
and more
about the fact that it exists. Our original non-kolab
solution
had huge performance increases when we switched from the
standard
maildrop script to the lmptp server for delivery. Basically
using
a server inplace of a script decreased memory requirements
and
increased multithread capability.

> > I had the exact thing setup on a non-kolab
> > postfix/cyrus/ldap config before and it performed
> great.
> > The kolabmailboxfilter seems to be the only major
> > difference.
>
> Are you sure you do not have the amavids and spamassassin
> running in between? (Though also they should scan the
> message in chunks.)
We are def running amavisd that hooks into spamassassin.
That's
default. Shouldn't this only check the message once though?

If it is checking each message as it is delivered to
the individual mailbox, I'd say we should find a way to
have it only check once... this would certainly help. Again
though in the past we were using amavisd with no problems.

> How do you do the alias?
We have been using distribution lists. They seem to work
fine
for our needs. Could this be related to the performance
problem? I've seen the thread on DL vs alias, but not
really
following the problem with DL.

Our previous LDAP schema included:
MailAcceptingId - alias name
MailDropAddress - mailbox or email to send to

So to do our alias/DL's we just added a MailAccepting for
our
alias name and then multiple entries for each mailbox that
should receive the message.

CONCLUSION:
The LMTP server is a compiled server running as a daemon...

and therefore much more effecient delivery method.

Would it be possible to replace the kolabmailboxfilter
with a customized version of the lmtp server rather than
using a php script that has the same performance
limitations
as the maildrop script. Is it possible to compile the
php script? I know of some open solution that integrate
with apache, but non for php-cli.

I don't need calendaring so its fine for me without any
changes, but I'd say this is def something that should
be looked into to improve the Kolab server.

> > If the kolabmailboxfilter is just for calendaring and
> other
> > such features I don't really need it.

Kevin Baker
Mission Vi Inc.