Distribution List Slows server problem...

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Wed Jan 4 11:57:12 CET 2006

Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2006 05:05 schrieb Kevin Baker:
> --- Bernhard Reiter <bernhard.reiter at intevation.de> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 28. Dezember 2005 18:35 schrieb Kevin Baker:

> The issue to me is less how optimized the php script is,
> and more about the fact that it exists.
> Our original non-kolab solution
> had huge performance increases when we switched from the
> standard maildrop script to the lmptp server for delivery. Basically
> using a server inplace of a script decreased memory requirements
> and increased multithread capability.

This sound like your are describing the features of saving startup time.
Of course a php script could also be implemented as a running server
and save the startup time.

> > Are you sure you do not have the amavids and spamassassin
> > running in between? (Though also they should scan the
> > message in chunks.)
>
> We are def running amavisd that hooks into spamassassin.
> That's default. Shouldn't this only check the message once though?

It should, but so should kolabmailboxfilter.
If you want to help improving this, you should check the logs
for amavisd and resgmr (that is the kolabmailboxfilter log)
to see if the emails are treated in chunks or single.

> > How do you do the alias?
>
> We have been using distribution lists. They seem to work
> fine for our needs. Could this be related to the performance
> problem? I've seen the thread on DL vs alias, but not
> really following the problem with DL.

As far as I know there has been a missunderstand about DL
and a bug in the recent development snapshots, which is now fixed.
Many things can be related to the performace problems.
For the email to be checked only once,
postfix needs to give it to amavisd and kolabmailboxfilter
with many recipients, so the way to make the aliases has an influence.

> Our previous LDAP schema included:
> MailAcceptingId - alias name
> MailDropAddress - mailbox or email to send to
>
> So to do our alias/DL's we just added a MailAccepting for
> our
> alias name and then multiple entries for each mailbox that
> should receive the message.

I have a hard time imagining the concequences without a running system,
so I personally would still go for the logs as mentioned above.

> CONCLUSION:
> The LMTP server is a compiled server running as a daemon...
> and therefore much more effecient delivery method.

For reasons given above I am sceptic about this conclusion for now.

Bernhard