a default inbox annotation

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Wed Oct 6 12:19:25 CEST 2004

Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2004 11:41 schrieb David Faure:

Hi David,

> Assuming pop preserves the UID, I _guess_ that you wouldn't have to
> re-download mail via imap that you got via pop. But will pop also be clever
> enough to notice which mail you already downloaded via IMAP?

Yes, pop after imap is the problem. pop is not smart enough in this respect.

> folder. *However* this is going to be awful for the user, because all the
> messages that you download from your IMAP INBOX will have to be re-uploaded
> on the next sync, since they are now in another folder!

Yes, this is the major disadvantage for the user. A future IMAP extension
allowing to move messages on the server would help though.

> Downloading mail via both POP and IMAP might be an interesting problem to
> solve, but it isn't part of the proko2 specifications.

Yes, but I am discussing here the common specifications and as Joon could
really benefit from this change in the spec I think it is really worht to be
considered to be put in the specs.

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."