a default inbox annotation

Stuart K Bingë omicron-list at mighty.co.za
Wed Oct 6 10:34:13 CEST 2004

Hello Joon,

On Wednesday, 06 October 2004 09:35, Joon Radley wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > I therefore propose the we define _independent_ of the IMAP INBOX a
> > default Kolab inbox. The description shall happen using an IMAP
> > annotation like mail.default.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Your are just saying this to make me happy. :)
>
> In Outlook mail transport and mail storage are two separate components. The
> biggest problem for us to merge the IMAP4 INBOX and the Outlook Inbox
> folders are that we break the Outlook model. We have a development path to
> resolve the problem, but this is complex and a lot of work. This would save
> us a lot of time and pain.
>
> So yes I think it is a _very_ good idea, but that is only because it serves
> by purposes. I would love the feedback from David and Stuart in this
> regard.

In the case of Horde it would require quite a bit of work to support something
like this, as there is really nothing available currently that can handle
what is being proposed.

That being said, it is something I (as well as the other Horde developers, in
a more general sense) have wanted to look at; creating some form of virtual
folder hierarchy which can be used for several purposes, such as the one
Martin proposed here, also being able to add "search folders" (as Kontact
does), as well as handling the groupware folders more intuitively/cleanly.

So overall I have no problem with this idea, and if it is generally beneficial
to everyone (as it looks to be so far) then I think it's a good idea to
persue.

Cheers,

--
Stuart K Bingë
 - Freelance UNIX/C++, PHP, Perl developer.

Email: omicron at mighty.co.za