a default inbox annotation

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Wed Oct 6 10:39:05 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 09:35, Joon Radley wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> > as far as I understand the Toltec Connector uses POP3 to obtain the
> > incoming mails not directly IMAP. I assume that this is due to the
> > fact that this allows to use the MAPI transport provider which then
> > also allows to use the ical parser etc.
> >
> > This leads to some minor problems when working with Kontact and Toltec
> > on the same account as the effective inbox is different.
> >
> > In some way this leads to confusions with mail status flags
> > (new/read...) and to duplicated mail.
> >
> > I therefore propose the we define _independent_ of the IMAP INBOX a
> > default Kolab inbox. The description shall happen using an IMAP
> > annotation like mail.default.
> >
> > Any client is then free to use whatever protocol (pop3s or
> > IMAP) to download new messages but the messages then end up in the
> > same folder finally.
Which one? The IMAP INBOX or the kolab inbox?

> > What do you think?
>
> Your are just saying this to make me happy. :)
>
> In Outlook mail transport and mail storage are two separate components. The
> biggest problem for us to merge the IMAP4 INBOX and the Outlook Inbox
> folders are that we break the Outlook model. We have a development path to
> resolve the problem, but this is complex and a lot of work. This would save
> us a lot of time and pain.
>
> So yes I think it is a _very_ good idea, but that is only because it serves
> by purposes. I would love the feedback from David and Stuart in this regard.

Wouldn't this look *very* weird for the user? Two inboxes?

In any case I assume you're talking about letting the server-side account-creation
create that other inbox, so it wouldn't really need any change on the client side,
it would be just another imap folder that appears when syncing from the server.
So I'm not opposed, if intevation agrees with how it will look like to the user...

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer