[Kolab-devel] Branched off kolab-libs-0.2

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 28 12:08:34 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 27 March 2012 15:01:30 Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> On 2012-03-27 13:10, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
> >>
> >> As discussed on IRC already I think this should go into two separate
> >> git
> >> repositories and be delivered in two tarballs. Both libs have their
> >> own cmake projects, they need to be build individually and they will
> >> not
> >> necessarily be in sync (means they share the same tags and version
> >> numbers and).
>
> For me the question is more what the advantage is. Development is
> easier with just one repository, there is some code sharing between the
> libs (just some cmake files), and libkolab requires libkolabxml. Also we
> currently have a lot of changes in libkolabxml which are required in
> libkolab, which is also simpler to handle with just one repository.

Development might be easier, but consuming the result is not. It is hard to
build or to package. For outsiders it is hard to follow the progress if two
different projects are mixed in one commit log.

Last but not least it leads to messy code, because it invites you to do all
kinds of weird hacks. I am not saying you are writing messy code ;) but I have
seen this in various projects already. We had this in in OpenPKG where
everything was in one repo and people were just making assumptions on a
certain file being there. This was hard to break down into individual
components and hard to build and package on everything that is not OpenPKG.

Long story short: As long as the two libs don't belong together (means there
is no mutual dependency but only one from libkolab to libkolabxml) and are not
released together (means with the same tags and version numbers), please do us
all a favor and consider two separate repos. I am sure Jeroen will help you to
split the repo up and rewrite the commit history accordingly.

Kind regards,
Christoph

--
Christoph Wickert