[Kolab-devel] Branched off kolab-libs-0.2

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 28 19:08:53 CEST 2012

On 2012-03-28 12:08, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2012 15:01:30 Christian Mollekopf wrote:

>> separate
>> their
>> will
>> version
>>
>> For me the question is more what the advantage is. Development is
>> easier with just one repository, there is some code sharing between
>> the
>> libs (just some cmake files), and libkolab requires libkolabxml.
>> Also we
>> currently have a lot of changes in libkolabxml which are required in
>> libkolab, which is also simpler to handle with just one repository.
>
> Development might be easier, but consuming the result is not. It is
> hard to
> build or to package. For outsiders it is hard to follow the progress
> if two
> different projects are mixed in one commit log.
>
> Last but not least it leads to messy code, because it invites you to
> do all
> kinds of weird hacks. I am not saying you are writing messy code ;)
> but I have
> seen this in various projects already. We had this in in OpenPKG
> where
> everything was in one repo and people were just making assumptions on
> certain file being there. This was hard to break down into individual
> components and hard to build and package on everything that is not
> OpenPKG.

Sure, I can write you some messy code with multiple repositories too
;-)

> Long story short: As long as the two libs don't belong together
> (means there
> is no mutual dependency but only one from libkolab to libkolabxml)
> and are not
> released together (means with the same tags and version numbers),
> please do us
> all a favor and consider two separate repos. I am sure Jeroen will
> help you to
> split the repo up and rewrite the commit history accordingly.

Done.
The new repositories are:
- libkolabxml
- kolab-lib
- kolab-utils-format

So kolab-libraries is no longer existing and soon to be removed.

I dare to say that this is now really how the repositories will remain
=)

Cheers,
Christian