[Kolab-devel] Redesigning Kolab's web presence

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Nov 17 10:28:42 CET 2010

* Paul James Adams <adams at kolabsys.com> [20101116 19:05]:
> To get the conversation started, Nuno has produced a clean new design idea and
> created a couple of mock-up based upon this design, for your comment:
> - http://i.imgur.com/VDbSz.png
> - http://i.imgur.com/l1lnJ.png

I do not have much time right now to comment on that, but some
things I noticed at a first glance:

- News are gone from the main page, I really liked them and got
  feedback that other think the same. Many people do not subscribe
  to the announce list, but only look at kolab.org for news.

- Replacing news by random microblogging quotes might be hip, but I
  can imagine there are many pitfalls (e.g. spam or otherwise bad
  content). Or if the content is not random, but manually selected,
  it does not need to be in the microblogging style (id.gd links and
  hashmarks everywhere)

- Grey on grey is quite hard to read.

- The big headline wastes precious screen space, please do not let
  your designers work with two 24" screens B-)

> The idea with this project is to create a more modern look for *.kolab.org
> which can easily be used over our entire web presence.

Despite my critics above: Yes, a more modern and consistent look
would be nice to have.

> Now Nuno has produced some food for thought, it is time for everyone in the
> Kolab community who wants to take part to come and join in. The first meeting
> on this issue will take place in #kolab on freenode at 18:00 GMT on Friday
> 19th.

While IRC meetings have benefits, this should not lead to "You did
not attend the IRC meeting, so do not criticise us now", especially
as dinner time on Friday (for Europeans) and the short-time
announcement might be a reason for many otherwise interested people
not participating.

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998