[Kolab-devel] Redesigning Kolab's web presence

Paul James Adams adams at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 17 17:48:30 CET 2010

Hey Thomas (et al),

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 09:28:42 am Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> - News are gone from the main page

Yeah, this is just a mock-up for a potnetial design. Don't worry to much about
content for now. I will ensure people are aware that you would like news to
stay at the front. I would like news to stay there, too.

> - Replacing news by random microblogging quotes might be hip, but I
>   can imagine there are many pitfalls (e.g. spam or otherwise bad
>   content).

Why not have both? The microblogging does not have to be random. We can
aggregate the tweets of people we know, love and trust. Or we can create a new
dedicated-to-kolab.org account which is shown there.

> - Grey on grey is quite hard to read.

I will point this out to Nuno and co.

> - The big headline wastes precious screen space, please do not let
>   your designers work with two 24" screens B-)

The huge headline is just an example for the landing page. Like all things, it
is open to dicussion. Even on my laptop (with 800 vertical pixels) it isn't
/that/ bad.

> Despite my critics above: Yes, a more modern and consistent look
> would be nice to have.

I'm glad you agree.

> While IRC meetings have benefits, this should not lead to "You did
> not attend the IRC meeting, so do not criticise us now"

Of course not. The short deadline is simply because we want to move this
quickly. The timing of early evening was simply force of habit. Whenever I
hold IRC meetings in KDE I always do them around this time. Yes, some people
might be having dinner, but it means the meeting does not get in the way of
the majority of the participants work days.

Feel free to suggest a better time for on-going meetings.

All the best,
Paul

--
Dr. Paul J. Adams