[Kolab-devel] Redesigning Kolab's web presence

Paul James Adams adams at kolabsys.com
Tue Nov 16 19:08:18 CET 2010

Hey all,

Over the past few months of dealing with (potential) users of Kolab it has
become clear that Kolab has a particular image:
- rock solid
- highly secure
- scalable
- looks and feels dated

So whilst as a community we have produced some awesome software, it clearly
has an image problem which needs correction. This is why, recently, myself and
Jeroen had started a thread on analytics for www.kolab.org. These analytics
would give us a good idea of how we can improve the layout of our website
content. That said, it will not help us with the design of the website of
course.

To help with this I have asked if Nuno Pinheiro and the Oxygen team could
donate time to help with this. For those of you who might not know, Oxygen is
a team of designers who created the artwork,  icon set and web presence
(including www., planet.) for KDE 4.

To get the conversation started, Nuno has produced a clean new design idea and
created a couple of mock-up based upon this design, for your comment:
- http://i.imgur.com/VDbSz.png
- http://i.imgur.com/l1lnJ.png

The idea with this project is to create a more modern look for *.kolab.org
which can easily be used over our entire web presence. That is www, wiki,
issue tracker, SCM. We also intend to create a PlanetKolab and probably user
forums. Moreover, the same design elements can be used to update the web
presence within Kolab itself (e.g. webadmin).

Now Nuno has produced some food for thought, it is time for everyone in the
Kolab community who wants to take part to come and join in. The first meeting
on this issue will take place in #kolab on freenode at 18:00 GMT on Friday
19th.

All the best,
Paul

--