New selfcontained packaging for roundcube and guam

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at apheleia-it.ch
Mon Jun 13 10:40:57 CEST 2022

Hi,

To reduce packaging effort on new platforms roundcubemail and guam have been turned into selfcontained packages that we'll use going forward.
You may already have noticed this if you are using the Kolab:16 repository directly from the OBS.

For roundcube that means that roundcubemail-1.5.2 replaces:
* roundcubemail-plugins-*
* roundcubemail-skins-*

The buildroundcubemailtarball.sh script now assembles a tarball that includes the plugins and skins and is checked into the OBS.

For guam-0.9.12 the erlang dependencies are vendorized, and on debian we currently replace:
* erlang-eimap
* erlang-goldrush
* erlang-lager
* erlang-syslog

We wouldn't strictly have to replace those packages, but we currently conflict with files (could be improved in the packaging).

I understand if this is not everyones preferred method, but with recent distributions lacking a lot of the dependencies that we traditionally require,
and a vast reduction in complexity of the packaging itself, I hope you can understand why this is happening.

To opt-out a separate branch project on the OBS would have to be maintained where the *-selfcontained packages could be disabled.
Please note that the traditional packages will no longer receive updates from our side.

I tried making sure that all package managers automatically upgrade to the new packages, but it's of course possible that I missed some upgrade scenarios that could be solved better, help is welcome.

Cheers,
Christian