Kolab 16 and newer version of php than 5.4

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sun Mar 19 22:35:20 CET 2017

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:26:46AM +0100, Thomas Black wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi,

> I have installed Kolab 16 on CentOS 7.
> Version of PHP is 5.4. I would like to update PHP to version 5.6,
> because of security and also other web apps need that version. But it
> seems that is impossible, because packages php-kolab and php-kolabformat
> has dependency on php-common version 5.4.
>
> Is there any possibility to update PHP to version 5.6 when I have Kolab
> 16 installed?
> Really is Kolab 16 - latest stable version depended on php version 5.4
> which end active support in 2014 and security fixes in 2015?

You might have misunderstood how things work in rhel7/centos7.
Versions of packages that are shipped in the distro are supported by the upstream vendor.

So even if PHP project doesn't support 5.4 anymore, redhat does.

Also you can install PHP 5.6 to centos7 by using the official SCL repos.

-- Pasi