Kolab 3.4 and Vacation autoresponder

Liutauras Adomaitis adomaitis at kolabsystems.com
Tue Aug 29 11:33:45 CEST 2017

Hi,

On 2017 m. rugpjūčio 29 d., antradienis 03:13:14 EEST Homer Dokes wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> After updating Kolab 3.4, through apt-get update, the vacation auto
> responder is no longer available for that matter.  I should add that
> prior to the update the feature never worked for responding to any
> outside emails.  It only ever worked for email addresses that were local
> to the server... .i.e. from the same domain.  Prior to the update there
> was a pre-defined vacation option in the filters setup.  This is no
> longer there.  Further, any attempt to create a new filter named
> vacation and using the "Reply with message" execution on all messages
> results in nothing happening.  I get no log feedback and no message is
> sent back to the sender.
>
> I can confirm that timsieved is running as I can perform 'telnet
> localhost sieve' from the email server's command line and I do get a
> connection.
>
> When I set up the new filter and save I can see the output of the save
> being logged during compiling in the /var/log/roundcubemail/sieve log
> file.  That's the ONLY time anything ever gets logged related to sieve.
>
> Can anyone speak to how auto replies for vacation purposes are suppose
> to work in the Kolab 3.4 environment?  Anything I can find online is all
> over the map and none of what I have found speaks to the kolab 3.4
> environment specifically.  Shouldn't I be able see something logged from
> Sieve when it's filters are executing?  How does Kolab tie Sieve into
> cyrus to force the filter?
>
> The server is running Debian 7.0 with the Kolab 3.4 community edition.
>
> This is a huge issue for my clients and may force us to go to some other
> email hosting system if we can not overcome it in Kolab.  Any assistance
> would be greatly appreciated.

From Roundcube point of view the vacation settings item can be enabled in /
etc/roundcubemail/managesieve.inc.php file:
// Enables separate management interface for vacation responses (out-of-
office)
// 0 - no separate section (default),
// 1 - add Vacation section,
// 2 - add Vacation section, but hide Filters section
$config['managesieve_vacation'] = 1;

Vacations autoresponse usually "just work", but:
- you should make sure /etc/imapd.conf has necessary extensions enabled with
parameter sieve_extensions
- you should define email addresses emails to which should be responded with
vacation message. Rounudcube Vacation config tool has that in advanced
settings.
- you should make sure vacation responder is enabled as sieve filter. After
creating vacation responder chec <sieve_dir parameter value>/domain/e/
excample.com/t/test^user/ directory. Check if sieve filter is created and if
it is included in the filters main file.
- I'm not sure if you should see anything in the logs, but you should
definetly see a new email generated by IMAP server - a auto-response email.
Cyrus use sendmail parameter in /etc/imapd.conf to call binary to generate new
email.

Liutauras