Migrating and Upgrade Issues (wheezy to jessie or wheezy to centos7, 3.4 to 3.4 or 16)

Matthias Busch catwiesel at gmx.net
Fri Sep 30 15:57:49 CEST 2016

Hey,

thanks for the advise.

I intentionally did not want to use imapsync. It wont pickup set ACLs
and more so, I would need passwords for all the users - which I dont
have or want.

This is also a matter of disaster recovery. When I rsync the cyrus stuff
over and it doesnt work, then I would not be able to restore my backups
either (same data, same situation, only difference is where the data is
coming from)

anyway. I think I figured it out, at least from kolab 3.4 to 3.4
Big thanks to timotheus on irc for giving me
https://github.com/TBits/KolabScripts/wiki/Debugging-IMAP which helped
narrow it down

- install target os, kolab 3.4, setup kolab (same dc=domain,dc=tld)
- change target kolab.conf, especially if you made changes of the uid,
primary_mail
- restart kolab
- stop dirsrv, import (previously backed up) ldap data .ldif
- stop cyrus-imapd, populate imap folders in /var - rsync -a  source
target with --exclude works fine (see backup and restore documentation
for the folder names and list of excludes)
- reboot

when I do it like that, it will find all the old emails, shared folders
are present, ACLs are preserved.