Best Distro for Kolab

Andy Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Fri Feb 19 22:26:55 CET 2016

On Friday February 19 2016 17:06:53 Timotheus Pokorra wrote:
> Hello Gerald,
>
> > What is the best distro to use for Kolab? I generally use Ubuntu LTS for
> > my
> > servers, and I'd like to stick with it, but we seem to be behind on the
> > release cycle.
>
> The best distro for Kolab has always been CentOS.
> For Kolab 3.4 it was RHEL/CentOS 6, now for Kolab 16 it is RHEL/CentOS 7.
>
> see also
> https://docs.kolab.org/introduction/what-is-the-recommended-distribution.ht
> ml

Yes, RHEL/CentOS is recommended by Kolab Systems.

However ... Kolab runs fine on Ubuntu LTS.  It's not like RHEL is the only
platform available to run a kolab server.

My recommendation is : stick with what you know.   The web page Timotheus
provided explains some reasons for their recommendation.   One of those reason
is the majority of employees are familiar with that distribution.  The same
should apply to yourself.

As a system administrator you need to know how to deal with your server.   If
you are unfamiliar with the package tools (yum, rpm, package names), or the
system itself ... like paths to configuration files (networking), then it will
be more difficult for you.

By all means I encourage learning different distributions.  If you want to make
it a personal project to run a new server on an unfamiliar distro ... great.
I would never setup a new production server on a distro I do not know though.

Andy