broken mail account

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Wed Oct 21 10:32:09 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm fiddling around with a broken mail account on a kolab setup. I have
to admit that I'm not the sole admin of this kolab setup and I don't
know
exactly, what the previous admin did.

The problem is, that mail doesn't get delivered to one particular mail
account. Instead, postfix logs the following error:

Oct 21 08:40:39 kolab postfix/error[15957]: 0E3A8B400F9:
     to=<user.name at example.org>, relay=none, delay=426359, delays=
     426358/1/0/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (delivery temporarily
     suspended: connect to kolab.example.org[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp,
     lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp]: No such file or directory)

I'm pretty sure, that postfix, cyrus imapd and lmtpd are working as
expected. In fact, mail to all accounts except the broken one is
delivered
as expected, also to mail accounts with the same domain name.

It seems to me like the user account with primary email address
'user.name at example.org' got deleted by somebody and recreated
afterwards.
The new user account has 'user.name2 at example.org' as primary email
address
and 'user.name at example.org' set as secondary address.

Mail to the new primary email address 'user.name2 at example.org' and all
other secondary addresses gets delivered as expected. Only the (now)
secondary email address 'user.name at example.org' doesn't work.

My assumption is, that the broken email address is still linked to
the old deleted account and that postfix (or lmtp) try to deliver mail
to the deleted account instead of using the address as alias for the
new account 'user.name2 at example.org'.

Is it possible to either restore the deleted account or remove all
traces of it and change the primary mail address of the new account?

root at kolab:~# /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/mbpath user/user.name at example.org
/var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.org/u/user/user^name
root at kolab:~# /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/mbpath user/user.name2 at example.org
/var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.org/u/user/user^name2

root at kolab:~# ls -ald
/var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.org/u/user/user^name
drwx------ 18 cyrus mail 4096 Oct 14 17:42
     /var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.org/u/user/user^name
root at kolab:~# ls -ald
/var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.org/u/user/user^name2
drwx------ 15 cyrus mail 4096 Oct 20 13:56
     /var/spool/imap/domain/e/example.org/u/user/user^name2

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
  jonas