imap-processes are not terminating

Enrico Tagliavini enrico.tagliavini at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 14:00:17 CEST 2014

Hi Jan,

just a guess, I have no experience with such an high amount of users, but
did you tried to disable IDLE in cyrus imap? Now be aware, this is not
really elegant, but probably better than having a server crashing going OOM.

IMAP IDLE is useful because it allows real time notifications, but for that
to happen you need to keep the connection with the IMAP server open all the
time. This might be the cause of the issue. There is not timeout possible
here, the connection is meant to stay there indefinitely. If the client
doesn't disconnect cleanly TCP timeout will apply.

So it is bad to disable, since it is a useful feature, but it can be a
temporary solution (provided this is actually the primary source of the
issue). You should probably evaluate the possibility of moving to a more
powerful server.

Hope it helps.
Best regards.

Enrico