How I set up Kolab 3.2 in a Docker container

Thu Jul 31 18:51:04 CEST 2014

Hi Timotheus,

> Of course, for production use, it is something completely different.
> Therefore it makes sense that you have to run setup-kolab manually in
> your docker container once.

As the Dockerfile needs to be adapted anyways, because of host name,
time zone, locale and so on, maybe the setup-kolab step could also be
put inside. I need to look into this further...

> Another issue to look at, which is a problem in both our attempts:
> I was reading about data persistence: to store the data not inside the
> container, and therefore making the container replacable. It seems to
> store the data inside the container is not the docker way of doing
> things. See also this thread:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/docker-dev/8vhmtyjqjME
> See http://www.alexecollins.com/content/docker-persistence/
> and https://docs.docker.com/userguide/dockervolumes/

I was also thinking about this before, but I don’t know enough about how
Kolab works internally so far. Are you aware of a list of the
files/directories that contain user data? I will have a look at the
backup instructions as soon as I find the time, maybe there is some
useful information...

Regards,
Michael