How I set up Kolab 3.2 in a Docker container

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Tue Jul 29 11:44:08 CEST 2014

Hello Michael,

> Timotheus once wrote a small guide as well:
> https://kolab.org/blog/timotheus-pokorra/2014/03/26/installing-demo-version-kolab-3.1-docker
> Maybe the two of you want to join forces?

I see that you have referenced my initial attempts from your README.md.
That makes me happy :)

I only did it as an experiment. My initial goal was to make it easy for
people to get started to try out Kolab, and avoiding problems during the
installation by making it automated and using the exact same
reproducable environment.

Of course, for production use, it is something completely different.
Therefore it makes sense that you have to run setup-kolab manually in
your docker container once.

Another issue to look at, which is a problem in both our attempts:
I was reading about data persistence: to store the data not inside the
container, and therefore making the container replacable. It seems to
store the data inside the container is not the docker way of doing
things. See also this thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/docker-dev/8vhmtyjqjME
See http://www.alexecollins.com/content/docker-persistence/
and https://docs.docker.com/userguide/dockervolumes/

I am currently not working on anything docker related.

All the best,
   Timotheus