ActiveSync in Kolab 3.1

Carpenter, Troy troy at carpenter.cx
Thu Jan 30 20:35:12 CET 2014

On 2014-01-30 05:51, Thomas Reitelbach wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2014, 11:36:49 schrieb Torsten Grote:
>> Hi Troy,
>>
>> On Wednesday 29 January 2014 19:15:04 Troy Carpenter wrote:
>> > What are the current restrictions on ActiveSync?  I switched my Samsung
>> > SIII over from using IMAP to using ActiveSync, but I've found that only
>> > the default Calendar is shared that way.
>>
>> That's no restriction of the ActiveSync in Kolab. That's a restriction
>> in
>> Android < 4.4.
>
> Acutally, I'm using Android 4.4.2 on a Google Nexus 4 and it has the
> same
> restriction.
> Very sad, but not the fault of Kolab.
>
> In practice this means: When entering a new event on the phone, it is
> not
> possible to select in which calendar the event should be stored,
> because the
> shared calendars are combined into one.

It took me some testing to understand your last statement and maybe
others don't exactly understand what you are describing.  To test it, I
created a shared system calendar, a new calendar in my account, and
shared a calendar from another user.  Add to that the default calendar
and default "personal calendar" folders, in total I had five separate
calendars in Roundcube and all set to sync via ActiveSync.

I created an event in each calendar, with the title being the name of
the calendar.  In Roundcube, all events showed in their correct
calendar.  On the Android, they were all color-coded as coming from my
main default calendar.  So from the Android point of view, all calendars
from Kolab were combined into the one calendar.  On the Android, I
created an event in the only calendar that showed in my ActiveSync
account.  It appeared on the Roundcube screen in my default calendar,
but I was able to move it to whichever calendar I wanted via Roundcube,
if necessary.

Based on other emails, I'm guessing for Outlook 2013 the behavior is the
same.