Partitioning Scheme

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Fri Jan 3 11:11:05 CET 2014

I've created LVM slices for the following folders on my installation:

/var/lib/imap
/var/lib/dirsrv
/var/lib/mysql
/var/lib/amavis
/var/spool/imap
/var/spool/postfix
/var/log

Sounds complicated but it has it advantages. Some of them are outlined in the deployment guide on docs.kolab.org

The main reason is I can create a LVM snapshot of the Cyrus data an savely create backups without data being changed in the middle of the backup.

About MySQL usage: someone said that MySQL usage it's quite low, depending on your user size this won't be the case, cause *dav subsystem is heavily as cache, search and filter system. With mysql caching turned of, irony will not work at all, so keep this in mind when designing your partition layout.

Having a seperate spool postfix slice can help accepting mails when something filled up your disks pace

Amavis: so mail bombs won't crash your system and just blocks amavis

Logs: same for logs. Accidentally leaving debug on or something else filling up your log disk space should not kill your system.

In the end it all depends in your installation size. I would allocate 900gb for imap if you expect 50gb in the beginning. Make it 200gb and leave the rest free. With LVM+ext4 you can always increase the LVM slice and resize the file system, but you can't shrink it without rebuilding (backup, delete, create, restore)

Oh and btw in all cases, having some kind of disk space monitoring is a must have.

--
mfg
Daniel Hoffend