hide/disable non-Mail folders in imap-clients?

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Fri Feb 28 19:56:48 CET 2014

Daniel Hoffend wrote:
> Sorry to say, I guess no.

I can copy that.

> If you unsubscribe a folder this will be not only for the single client
> it will be for all clients. And this means the folder (for example) will
> be hidden in the webclient, *DAV, etc as well.

Right. Hiding all non-mail folders on IMAP level is a pending task for
the Kolab suite. We'd basically need two IMAP services (running on
different ports or different hosts on standard ports): one that exposes
the full IMAP data to Kolab-compatible clients such as Kontact as well
as one for the rest. Either Cyrus handles that internally with some
custom patch exclusive for Kolab or some sort of a reverse proxy comes
to mind.

For the latter one, I recently created a proof-of-concept implementation
based on node.js. Mainly because I was curios about the non-blocking and
event-driven architecture of node. So this is a standalone proxy an IMAP
client can connect to, which maintains a pair of sockets for each client
connection and then mainly copies IMAP payload from one socket to
another. Using some sort of a plugin architecture, certain IMAP commands
(e.g. LSUB) can be intercepted and modified.

I'm currently running it on localhost to connect to a Kolab IMAP server
and it works for me as expected. Tested so far with Thunderbird and
Apple Mail as clients.

You can get the sources and give it a try yourself:
https://github.com/thomascube/imaproxy.js

But please bear in mind: THIS IS ONLY A PROOF-OF-CONCEPT IMPLEMENTATION
AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN PRODUCTION. It's not part of a Kolab
distribution and should be used with great care.

Although it's capable to handle multiple parallel connections, its
performance and security hasn't been tested or verified at all.

Of course, any feedback is welcome. Feel free to file issues directly at
github.

Kind regards,
Thomas