Recommended OS for fresh Kolab 3.x install?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Wed Oct 16 09:33:33 CEST 2013

On Tuesday 15 October 2013 18:44:00 itsef-admin wrote:
[...]
> What IS the current recommendation when starting with a fresh install?
> Which distribution can be expected to be best supported?

Ok, I have to follow up myself, but I've just been re-reading a few things and
stumbled on this mail: http://marc.info/?l=kolab-devel&m=138139479614069&w=2

<quote>
Our reference platform is Enterprise Linux version 6, for which
corporate customers might choose Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and community
might choose CentOS.

We (Kolab Systems staff) have intimate familiarity with this platform,
its predecessor Fedora, its processes, its guidelines, its twirls, drink
beers with the people running the project, developing, building, testing
and supporting the distribution regularly, on multiple continents, as we
(Kolab Systems staff) have been active contributors for a very long time
(and still are).

[...]
For now though, any package that is not for Enterprise Linux 6 is provided as
a courtesy,
[...]
</quote>

I think that pretty much answers my question: The recommended OS these days is
RHEL/CentOS.

However, given the clarity of the statement above, would it not be a good idea
to state this on the Kolab website as well so that people starting with Kolab
can choose the best supported OS for it? I think that especially "3.2.
Supported Platforms and System Requirements" in the "Adminstrator Guide"
should mention that not all platforms are supported equally well.

Regards,

Thomas