Kolab-users Digest, Vol 111, Issue 27

Borut Pinter borut.pinter at dedomena.si
Tue May 21 15:13:16 CEST 2013

Dear Paul and Thorsten,

Actualy I'm using Samba4 which does not
use standard LDAP as far as I understand but instead MS Active
Directory. I have seen that there is a version of Kolab for UNIVENTION
CORPORATE SERVER (UCS)
HTTP://KOLABSYS.COM/NEWS/KOLAB-UCS-31-NOW-AVAILABLE-UNIVENTION-APP-CENTER
[3], which uses Active Directory as its user database I suppose. But
this solution (UCS) is not OK for me as licences have to be paid for
production servers and I really don't need this as my goal is to use
free software.

Also in Samba 4 Standard LDAP backend support is not
developed actively any more and it wont be in future releases as far as
I have been reading.

I already have Samba4 Active Directory working
with a few users and I would like to use this directory of users also
for Kolab.

As for the web administration I can live without it because
I will use MS Remote Server administration tool which works great with
Samba 4 so I can manage users with this tool from any Windows machine.

I have found no guides for this combination of Samba 4 and Kolab 3 and
I'm not really that familiar with LDAP or AD so I was hoping that
someone did something similar and can give me some pointers.

I will
try to make this work and I will post my progress here but if anyone has
some advice or can help me in any way I would really appreciate it.

best regards,

Borut.

21.05.2013 13:51, je
kolab-users-request at kolab.org napisal

> Mat,
>
> I thank you for
your reply. However I'm not sure this will work as both of these (samba4
and Kolab) use LDAP for user database.

> I'm not sure how to run two
LDAP servers on the same machine and I didn't find anywhere how I can
setup kolab with different LDAP server or other kind of user database
the it's 386 Directory Server for now.

> If there is a way I can run
2 LDAP servers (one form samba4 and the other from Kolab) I could do as
you suggested but I'm not really sure.

> Perfect soulution for me
would be that both (Kolab and Samba) would use just one common LDAP
server.

21.05.2013 12:00, je kolab-users-request at kolab.org napisal

Subject: Re: Integration of Kolab 3 with Samba4 LDAP
>> Date: Mon, 20
May 2013 20:51:39 -0700
kolab-users at kolab.org
8bit
>> From: Mat Cantin <mat at cantinbrothers.ca>

Message: 4

>> I recommend looking at the LSC Project to sync the two
user databases
>> up.
>>
>> http://lsc-project.org/wiki/ [2]The LSC
mailing list is pretty good if you need help setting it up.

>> --

Mat

>> On 2013-05-20 7:59, Borut Pinter wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I have
just deployed a new samba4 server as DC for windows network. I would
like to add Kolab 3 as groupware to the same user base and I was
wondering if I can use samba4 AD or LDAP also for Kolab 3? All the
instructions I have found for Kolab 3 only use the LDAP that comes with
Kolab 3. If there is a way I could do this I would like some pointers in
how this can be done. regards, Borut. -- Dedomena - Obvladovanje
Podatkov in Informacij, Borut Pinter, s.p. Nemčavci 34 9000 Murska
Sobota tel.: +386(0)41-343-616 e-mail: borut.pinter at dedomena.si
_______________________________________________ Kolab-users mailing list
Kolab-users at kolab.org

Re: Integration of Kolab 3 with Samba4 LDAP
> Date: Tue, 21 May 2013
12:42:05 +0200

<3b566eeba8f2b9a5d8a71fc3cf15d438 at dedomena.si>
> To:
<kolab-users at kolab.org>
7bit
2

> Hi Borut,
>
> Borut Pinter schreef op 2013-05-21 12:29:

Mat, I thank you for your reply. However I'm not sure this will work as
both of these (samba4 and Kolab) use LDAP for user database. I'm not
sure how to run two LDAP servers on the same machine and I didn't find
anywhere how I can setup kolab with different LDAP server or other kind
of user database the it's 386 Directory Server for now. If there is a
way I can run 2 LDAP servers (one form samba4 and the other from Kolab)
I could do as you suggested but I'm not really sure. Perfect soulution
for me would be that both (Kolab and Samba) would use just one common
LDAP server. Is this possible?

> I had this running on a Kolab 3 test
server, although I'm not currently
> doing this in my live server. I
followed one of the many Samba/LDAP
> tutorials out there, and managed
to integrate the user management for
> both in my Kolab LDAP server.
>

> However, there were a few issues, mainly that the kolab-webadmin not

> only does not offer support for this, but actually stopped working
after
> I added the required Samba object classes to my uses. I got a
500
> internal server error with every attempt to update a users in
Kolab
> webadmin. This is also the reason I'm not actually running this
in a
> live situation (yet), although it's on my list of stuff to look
into.

> I reckon you can get it to work with alternative LDAP
management
> software (I used PHPLDAPAdmin) as long as you accept that
kolab-webadmin
> won't work anymore (or if you fix that :-D).
>
> Let
us know how you get on.

2013 12:42:05 Paul Klos wrote:
> as long as you accept that
kolab-webadmin won't work anymore (or if you fix that :-D).

> ... or
if you submit issue reports and are ready to wait for them to be

resolved... ;)

> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> Torsten