Advice needed: Migration Dovecot to Kolab Cyrus.

JP Horst jphorst at sciencebridge.de
Wed Mar 20 12:30:11 CET 2013

I migrated to kolab3 on CentOS using imapsync.

imapsync --ssl1 --useuid --authmech1 PLAIN --ssl2 --authmech2 PLAIN --host1
10.76.25.x --user1 x at y.de --passfile1 /root/migrate/pass_x --host2 10.76.25.y
--user2 xy --passfile2 /root/migrate/pass_xy

Unfortunately imapsync with kolab3 is extremely slow. With kolab 2 I
remembered it much faster. A big mailbox with 10 GB can take a day or more to
sync. (Message rate: 0.2 messages/s, Average bandwidth rate: 70.0 KiB/s)

I applied 3 steps:

1. dryrun to see if all subfolders get synchronized. Due to errors I had users
to rename some folders

2. Initial sync during productive use, which took several days.

3. Final sync during swichting without productive use in the background. Since
the bulk of the mails is already transferred this third step will be quicker
and downtime shorter.

As a consequence there might be some mails doubled, but that should not be a
big problem.

Good luck
JP