Advice needed: Migration Dovecot to Kolab Cyrus.

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at algo.mur.at
Wed Mar 20 09:56:32 CET 2013

Hello,

 I set up a new Kolab 3.0 on Debian wheezy and I am quite a newbie on this.
(Thanks for this work, I installed it on a fresh server setup quite nicely and
it is working quite well, with some problems, not urgent needed.) Now I want
to switch to the new server:

 What tools to use for migration of maildirs from exim/dovecot to Kolab 3 ?

Here my try:

 - I created same users on Kolab, adjusting the uid so login should be the
same,

 I used imapsync from Fedora free source: https://fedorahosted.org/imapsync/

 with options:
  --tls1 --tls2 --syncinternaldates --delete2  --noexpunge --subscribe

  (no --delete2folders since it would erase default folders of Kolab)

Since mailboxes are quite big, I did a pre-sync during running system. after
that during switching (exim mailserver down, firewall blocked imap) I did a new
sync:
  - some of mails where doubled, folder structure was broken.

on this new imapsync a lot of mails are copied again, which will take more
then 8 hours, to long for a mailserver downtime.

So now I switched back to old sever before completing.

Like stated before: Has anyone a hint how it could be done more smoothly ?

mfg
 Winfried Ritsch

--
---- Atelier Algorythmics ----