Fresh kolab3 on Debian/Wheezy: local delivery is not staying local?

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sun Mar 3 15:46:18 CET 2013

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 06:13:30 PM Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Kolab3 System that is soon to replace my running 2.4 one currently has
> no mx record etc. set.
> This makes me suspect that the reason why locally triggered test mails
> (/etc/aliases has "root: me at mydomain.org") are not delivered is that postfix
> is not keeping such mails local but routing them out and they are thus
> currently not received.
>
> Is that accurate? Can that postfix-behavior be changed?

Postfix should only relay messages to those recipient addresses that are not
considered local. Messages sent to spaces with no MX record will be sent to
the IN A address of said hostname or domain name.

For the domain "mydomain.org", you can check whether Postfix believes this to
be a locally hosted domain name space with:

  postmap -q mydomain.org ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/mydestinations.cf

For the recipient "me at mydomain.org", you can check whether that is considered
a valid recipient address with:

  postmap -q me at mydomain.org ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/local_recipient_maps.cf

Kind regards,