kolab metadata

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Thu Jan 17 20:10:29 CET 2013

> I've only very briefly looked at running a Kolab daemon against
> Dovecot, but it doesn't seem Dovecot's administration is done over IMAP
> (i.e. I did not seem to be able to login as an administrator user in
> order to create/rename/delete mailboxes for users).
>
> Long story short it seems that for Dovecot, we definitely need the IMAP
> backend-specific routines (that do something entirely different than the
> Cyrus IMAP backend does), where "create a new mailbox for a new user" is
> redirected to whichever routine Dovecot is used to having executed.

Dovecot 2.1 includes a doveadm administrative tool doveadm, that appears to
interact with dovecot via UNIX sockets. The doveadm C code looks pretty easy
to read, I wonder how hard it would be to write a python wrapper for it.

The dovecot acl plugin seems to use IMAP commands for configuring ACLs.

The impression I have so far is that dovecot was designed to provide access to
unix mail folders to posix users, while cyrus was designed to provide a mail
service from a machine with only administrative user shell accounts.

Diane