kolab metadata

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Wed Jan 16 10:33:05 CET 2013

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:53:46 AM Diane Trout wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 09:15:33 Torsten Grote wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 January 2013 23:30:26 Mihai Badici wrote:
> > > I compiled dovecot with metadata support for slackware, you can read on
> > > planetkolab my notes.
> >
> > Here's the link:
> >
> > https://www.kolab.org/blog/grote/2012/10/09/using-kolab-dovecot-imap-serve
> >
> > Diane, if you want to share you experiences with Dovecot as well that
> > would
> > be nice.
>
> I was trying to understand the various peices a bit more.
>
> I did find where the round cube source was installed and it too looks like
> can use either ANNOTATEMORE or METADATA IMAP extensions.
>
> Ahha, it does look like pykolab has a dependency on the ANNOTATEMORE
> extension because of the following. In
>
> http://git.kolab.org/pykolab/tree/pykolab/imap/__init__.py#n138
>
> kolab tries to use a cyrus specific, dovecot specific, or python generic
> module for talking to the IMAP server. The cyrus and imaplib modules seem
> to be sending GETANOTATION calls (e.g. the old specification)
>
> As far as I can tell the dovecot.py module isn't available, unless the
> dovecot.py in pysieved is somehow relevant.
>
> Diane

I use a simplified version of kolab.
I think python is only used in webadmin or various configuration scripts.
I'm not sure it's used to manage folders,
Since I use a standard openldap installation I cannot use kolab configuration
scripts. There are some details here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/machinetmail/?source=directory
Roundcube ( in fact kolab plugins) use the php binding from libkolabxml.
You need to install libkolabxml and enable kolabformat.so extension.
I manage folders only from roundcube so I don't use python bindings at all.

I think both METADATA or ANNOTATE are valid.
The IMAP server must only know to process SETMETADATA and GETMETADATA . All
other opperations are brocessed in clients.

As a matter a fact, I had the ideea to use a special IMAP folder to store
contacts  two years ago. When I googled for it I discovered that kolab people
had the same ideea and a lot of things done ( including metadata support) so I
become a fan instantly.  Changes in IMAP are minimal, all job is to be done by
clients, that's the great ideea. ( My first ideea was not to change IMAP at
all and instead use some reserved names as Contacts and Calendar and forbid
clients to use them as mail folders)  That's why I think you can use Contacts
even without metadata support in kontact ( you are not able to create or
manage special folders, however)

So there are those components:

1. The IMAP server. This one must support ANNOTATION or METADATA. I use
dovecot with metadata plugin.
2. Clients. The client must be kolab aware. There is roundcube with
kolabplugins, need libkolabxml and php bindings.
For mobile use, there is also kolab-syncroton who use php bindings too.
For kolabformat 3.0 there are only kontact and thunderbird with synkolab ( and
with a serious bug) available as i know.

3. SMTP server. I use a standard postfix with ldap support.

I think in kolab there is also a standard postfix with some customizations to
allow management from web admin console.

4. Configuration tool

In kolab there is kolab-webadmin interface to manage the whole configuration.
I think it use python bindings to manage folders, but since I don't use it I
don't know exactly.

Mihai Badici
http://mihai.badici.ro