Kolab Intermediate 2.4 Release

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed May 9 03:05:09 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-09 0:00, Mike Brady wrote:
> I like the progress that is being made.

Thank you ;-)

> Is this "intermediate release" considered to be suitable for
> production use?

It's certainly stable in the sense that its original conception was
August, 2010. It runs some of the largest production deployments
currently supported by Kolab Systems, and it is definitely definitively
the way forward.

> Are there any instructions on how to migrate from a release 2.3
> system
> anywhere?

Assuming the 2.3 system or systems you speak of is/are OpenPKG - no.

This "upgrade" requires manual intervention, I'm afraid. Any
recommended path would include installing a *new* system to become the
Kolab 2.4 Groupware server.

One can copy over the mail spool from /kolab/var/imapd/spool/ as little
has changed between Cyrus IMAP 2.3 and 2.4 in that regard, and Cyrus
IMAP 2.4 should be able upgrade the databases to the new formats
automatically (for mailbox databases, this happens on first SELECT of
the mailbox, which one may want to trigger himself during upgrade rather
then allowing the user to face the inherent delay while Cyrus IMAP
ugprades the .index, .header, etc.).

Site-specific settings, however, are more cumbersome - they exist in
various locations in /kolab/, and there's little we can do to migrate
such settings over (as versions of applications apply to the validity of
the software's configuration as well).

Furthermore, our LDAP reference implementation has changed from
OpenLDAP to 389 Directory Server. That said the new OpenLDAP features
used are incompatible with the 2.3 way OpenLDAP was being used. I'm
currently working on making the new kolab daemon and other components
such as the Web Admin compatible with OpenLDAP 2.4 technology.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG