upgrading debian lenny->squeeze underneath kolab

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Mon May 7 19:42:23 CEST 2012

On Monday 07 May 2012 13:23:32 Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have a source compiled AMD64 kolab v2.3.2 which has been neglected a tiny
bit recently (needs upgrade to 2.3.4).  I imagine this should be handy enough.

> It also needs the Debian OS upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze.  Does this
> upgrade tend to cause any issues for Kolab, or given that it's OpenPKG,
> should kolab just continue working?  Might we need to redo the
> compile/install of kolab?

Yes, you will need to recompile, because openpkg itself changes. Once it was
compiled for Lenny, the next one is for squeeze.

> I'll plan to do the kolab upgrade also, but preferably not on the same day.
>
> Any advice, gotchas, cautions?

This is what I would do:
1. Upgrade the server
2. Move the old installation aside
3. Install new binary packages for Squeeze. They are compiled statically, so
i386 will work on amd64. You only need the ia32libs package, but you will
never have to recompile anything.
4. Move mails, openldap data and templates form the backup to the new
installation.

Make sure to read the upgrade instructions, but 2.3.2 to 2.3.4 is straight
forward.

Kind regards,
Christoph

--