Migration from Kolab server 2.1 to 2.3.4

Florian Evers florian-evers at gmx.de
Fri Mar 16 13:22:58 CET 2012

Hello,

I have an old outdated Kolab server 2.1 here, which is based on the "native
Kolab for Gentoo Linux" project that was cancelled some time ago. Thus, I
avoided to update the system at all costs, but now it is time to create a new
installation.

The good thing first:

On the kolab server, there is only _one_ user account, that's me. This user
has:

* Some mail folders
* Contacts
* Calendar

Now I need your advice how to proceed. I have the idea to install the current
Kolab server on a different machine, create a new user there (me) and then
somehow migrate all mails, contacts and calendar information to the new
account.

Regarding mail this seems easy: Drag & Drop all mails within Kontact/KDE
should do the job. But how do I migrate all the contacts and the calendar
entries? If I remember correctly these should be "just" mails as well, but
hidden by the "Kolab KDE resource".

Is it sufficient to just copy & paste all Mails from the old RAW-IMAP account to
the new one, and activating the Kolab resource afterwards? Or do I run into
problems with some metadata hidden in each Mail / the database / the LDAP
server?

I reall hope you can help me. Thank you very much in advance!
Florian