Bynari Connector for Outlook experience

Dirk Werner dwerner at curiousbits.de
Fri Jul 27 10:18:12 CEST 2012

Hi,
I have setup a kolab openpkg version 2.3.4 which currently serves a
group of 30 users. It's a mixed client environment, the majority of
users runs Outlook 2007, some have 2003, a few use Thunderbird and one
user works with Outlook 2010. For the 2010 version we purchased the
Bynari Connector. The Bynari Connector is advertised on the Bynari
Website as follows:

*Features:*

  * IMAP Idle support
  * iCal/Kolab Groupware Format Support
  * Folder Sharing (RFC 4314 compatible)
  * Support for Outlook 2003-2010          (full 32/64 bit support)
  * Quota Support
  * Out of Office
  * Mail Forwarding
  * Terminal Services
  * Reminder Manager for Outlook
  * Roaming Profiles

After the installation we found that several functions don't work. For
example, hitting the button for out-of-office functionality just
launches an error message, saying that this function is not licensed!
Since it is part of the announced feature list on the Bynari Website, i
contacted the Bynari support and received the following answer:

/>As you can see from the license those features are not licensed. They're not listed in the license. They are Premium Exchange features that need to be purchased to be >activated as it states on our website: "Bynari Outlook Connector now supports: Out of Office, Mail Forwarding, Terminal Services, Reminder Manager for Outlook!  These >optional features can be purchased individually or as a discounted package. Currently Out of Office, Mail Forwarding only work with BCS's IntelliPanel."
>Also, Out of Office, Mail Forwarding will only work if you have our Admin interface (IntelliPanel)

/Now, we're asking ourselves what we purchased this plugin for? Has anyone made similar experiences? I'm feeling like being bluffed by Bynari.

Cheers
Dirk