Debian packages

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sun Jul 22 12:29:54 CEST 2012

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:03:42 PM Michael Kiefer wrote:
> Since I only have experience with Debian Linux, I tried installing the
> binaries from  on a Squeeze system.

Hi Michael,

> I stumbled upon to some issues with the package dependencies though:
>
> 1. The package kolab-webclient depends on roundcube-plugins-extra and
> roundcube-plugins-kolab. The first one I could obtain from the backports
> repo. For the latter one I found this [2] mail  mentioning a source [3]
> where I could find the debian parts for making a package out of the sources
> found in [4]. Putting everything together I obtained my
> roundcube-plugins-kolab.deb package and noticed issue number two:

Yes, the roundcube and roundube-plugins-kolab packages have been worked on,
but have not been built and pushed to the public kolab 2.4 mirror.

> 2. The package roundcube-plugins-extra depends on two packages which are not
> directly available: php-kolab-freebusy and php-horde-kolab-server. I can
> get php-kolab-freebusy from the .deb repository for kolab-2.3 [5]. However,
> for php-horde-kolab-server, I have no clue how to get this one.

The php-horde-kolab-server package is actually a pear module installed as
$peardir/Horde/Kolab/Server - the sources however may have simply been named
"Kolab_Server".

I'm not certain what the situation is in this particular case - and I'm sorry
as I cannot verify while I'm on the road today.

> Overall, what I needed to do seems a bit clumsy to me, so I suspect it is
> either not the standard way, or there are some parts which have not been
> packaged yet.

You have that right - Kolab 2.4 has not been completely packaged yet.

> In that case, is there anything I can do to help? I only have
> experience with creating my own Debian packages for one week now, but maybe
> I can give it a try anyhow.

We are looking for people willing (and able) to take on the Debian packaging -
and have been for a while now, in fact. I had to withdraw from working on the
Debian packaging myself, turning my focus onto Kolab 3.0 development and
release management.

If you feel you have the will and/or skill to work on the packages - and it
seems you do! - please don't hesitate and contact me. I can get you push
access to the git repositories for packaging, and also access to push out
updates to the mirror/repositories.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--